Wednesday 11 November 2009

Brick me up, before you go-go!

Alright! I just thought I'd put a little bit of respect out their to all those Berliners celebrating 20 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall! Just like David Hasselhoff, those guys were 'looking for freedom' and thankfully they found it. Just like the Hoff. And all the more respect to them for finding without the aid of a satnav or Kitt, Dave's car in the popular Knight Rider series, which now I think of it was almost like an early form of satnav, albeit one that has it's own independent thought.

Anyway back to the Wall thing. It was a magical moment to be a part of and all those people that were there knew that it would be one of those life changing events that they remember forever. I wasn't there, obviously, I was two, but one of my earliest memories is of that sense of excitement that was around and the buzz that was running through my house at the time. Not that my parents were particularly invested in European politics but they were always ones to complain against eyesores that weren't in keeping with native aesthetics, so for them it was a real cathartic evening. They were busy at the time protesting against the new McDonalds drive-thru that had just been built near our house, so they saw the Germans as kindred spirits. But I think it's clear to see that the idea of being rebellious is something that was very strong in my upbringing, and unlike a lot of parents it was something mine encouraged. The first time I wet myself as a child, they saw it more as breaking free from the shackles of percieved hygene rather than a kid pissing himself. But that's just a different level of committment.

Well that's all from me for now, remember: knock down those walls. Unless they're not yours to knock down. In no way am I encouraging any form of vandalism to anyone's property that isn't otherwise agreed on before hand. I mean my neighbours rubber plant has started hanging over into my backyard but I wouldn't take the removal of it into my own hands.

best,

Jerryx

No comments:

Post a Comment